Welcome to the Dragon Folk Club

Welcome to the official blog of the Dragon Folk Club, which meets for a singers night every Friday at The Bridge Inn, Shortwood, Bristol. Everyone is welcome whether you sing, play or just listen.

Wednesday 24 January 2018

A quorum was reached

Before I start the report of last week's Dragon Folk Club session it is important to mention that this Friday, 26 January, will be our annual Burns Night session. I can't promise you haggis, pipes nor even a sgain dubh but there will no doubt be a good helping of Scottish songs, some of which may even have connections with Rabbie himself.

I would like to thank Colin for providing a report on last week's session though a problem with my computer means I am writing this without direct access to it. Never mind, I have already created the playlist of songs and I think I remember most of the content.

Apparently I need to add to last week's report, that Mike intended Stan Rogers' Barrett's Privateers to be part of his self-imposed theme of people pretending to be something they are not on the basis that those particular privateers, while under contract, were really plain and simple pirates.

With Simon away and Derek not well enough to attend, it was always going to be a little thin on the ground. Colin was soon joined however by Steve G, then Mike and his canine companion, Indy, and finally Jo, so a quorum was reached.

Colin was MC and kicked off the proceedings with Brendan Behan's Dicey Reilly. Colin seems to have gone for an Irish theme for the evening with a speciality of songs of the Behans. His second song, The Auld Triangle, was first performed publicly as a part of the play The Quare Fellow (1954) by Brendan Behan although Brendan credited his friend Dicky Shannon as the writer. Colin moved to Dominic Behan's writing for Liverpool Lou.

Through the evening Steve G and Jo sang and played separately and together with the last song falling to Jo's turn (if I remember Colin's notes correctly) with Steve accompanying on Jackson (Jerry Leiber, Billy Edd Wheeler).

Here's a selection of songs sung during this session. I hope I've found all the right ones; if there are any impostors I apologise.

(Number of people present - 4, of whom 4 performed)

No comments:

Post a Comment